Please, No Needles

As I mentioned here 2014 will be the year of bloggers, for bloggers. Influenced by, and dedicated to Carrie at The Write Transition, please enjoy the following.

Carrie Rubin is the absolute nicest person on WordPress, period. She is also the best commenter. I’m not good at it, and where I lack she makes up for tenfold. Carrie wrote a book called The Seneca Scourge. I started this book on a Friday, about 9:30 p.m. (That’s right. BroJo is a wild and crazy guy!) I sent her a Facebook message right before ten p.m. telling her of my giggle fits from reading “Dr. Jones” over the first few pages. It reminded me of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. She responded “Hahaha, but luckily no one has to eat monkey brains in my book.” She then thanked me for showing support by reading. Let me tell you something about reading this book; My Pleasure. I finished Sunday evening, about 6:30 p.m. This was no small feat either. Don’t forget – I’m a Mormon. We go to Church hours at a time on Sundays, also doing our best to remember daily prayers and scripture study. I do have to say that I didn’t skimp on any of these things during the weekend. This book was that good. A must read. Go buy it so there’s reason for the next one to get picked up. Please. Pretty Please!

Go buy this now. (Photo Credit: Carrie Rubin)
Go buy this now. (Photo Credit: Carrie Rubin)

I never had many problems with being sick, but I did go to the emergency room one time, for myself.

Original cast of the show (1994–1995)
Original cast of the show (1994–1995) (Photo credit: Wikipedia) None of these people were there to help me.

Anyway, back to the sickness.

I was twenty-one years old. I was in my third year of college (at a two-year school). I spent most of my nights drinking it up, whiskey and coke; smoking two to three packs a day. On top of the soda and alcohol I would consume cherry Crystal Light (well, the Wall-Mart brand of Crystal Light) or sweet tea. I ate frozen Totino’s pizzas, two at a time, and if not that I consumed whole boxes of mac-n-cheese with tuna. I was far away from being healthy, so I shouldn’t have been surprised when I woke up with a pain in my side. It was a Saturday or Sunday. At first I thought I just needed to go to the bathroom. Pretty dull pain, right around where the appendix is, I think. I went, but nothing happened, so I took some 800 mg Ibuprofen. I tried to lie back down to sleep but my body decided against it. I didn’t know what to do so I drove the ten miles to my mom’s house, woke her up and told her that she might want to take me to the Emergency Room.

She quickly got up and dressed, and we were on our way. The pain kept building and building the whole way there. I was extremely uncomfortable regardless of the position I was in. We got to the Emergency Room and checked in. I couldn’t stand, sit, walk, lay or anything without the pain coming on stronger. Finally, admitted and placed in the first check out room, where the rest of the paper work can be filled out while they take vitals and stuff. I was becoming more and more unhappy with each passing second. I was in pain and something needed to stop it, and NOW! They finally got me to the back and started my IV. That thing emptied fairly quickly. They replaced it and the doctor finally came by. He told me that I more than likely had kidney stones and that the medicine they were giving me “should help with the pain.” I can remember that clear as day, because my response was an uncharacteristic “SHOULD HELP!” Doctor Backpedal then told me that it would indeed help. I went through two bags of fluid, apparently being very dehydrated and they sent me on my way, told to drink plenty of water. Mom would ask “How about juice?” Doctor said “No, water, just water.” He had experience with kidney stones and still got them even though he knew the best way to prevent them.

I probably looked like this, except sans beard.
I probably looked like this, except sans beard.

I spent the next week asleep on the couch, alternating between Vicodin and some other medicine that helped with pain. The Vicodin were every two hours and the others were every four hours, or maybe vice-verse. I don’t remember. I do remember the routine though. Sleep for two hours, awake for two hours, sleep for two hours and so on. I had to spend the nest week or so peeing into a strainer. Nothing ever came out, the medicine or solution having broken them up I suppose. I got pretty lucky.

No problems since, other than that cheeseburger habit I still can’t seem to quit.

1) And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2) And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, the he was born blind? 3) Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. ~ John 9: 1-3

In case you need some help in purchasing this wonderful book.

Whiskey Creek Press

Barnes & Noble (E-book only)

I got mine from Barnes & Noble and read it on my new tablet with the Nook app. (Give me free stuff Name dropping now finished.)

*Featured Image Credit:

Enhanced by Zemanta

10 thoughts on “Please, No Needles

  1. Ouch. I am sorry you had to go through that. I am going to be downing water today, just in case.

    I thought I had the rest of the featured line up guessed, but today through me off LOL.

  2. First off, what an incredible treat to open up my WordPress reader and see your post with my name and book at the top. Thank you so much! Your kind words about me and the book both warm and humble me. I’m so glad you enjoyed the novel, and I again thank you for your support. You have truly made my day. What a kind spirit you are!!

    Second off, I’m so sorry to hear you suffered the dreaded kidney stones. I’ve never experienced them myself (knock on wood), but I understand they bring a new definition to the word pain. I hope they are a thing of your past from now on.

  3. Wow, sorry about the kidney stones. I’ve never endured them, but hear they are horrible. Glad they are just a memory now.
    Carrie’s book is great! I was up until after three in the morning to finish reading it. I had no idea about her great twist, and it completely sucked me in. Nice post, Brother Jon.

  4. We go to Church hours at a time on Sundays

    Three hours unless it’s a stake conference. General conference can be longer, but I’ll bet you do what Cimmy and I do– watch it for hours at home.

    Our block meetings got canceled last Sunday because of the snowstorm. Speaking of which, next Sunday is stake conference!

You Know You Want to Say Something...

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s