Lessons · Stories

The Most Incredibly Humble Mormon in the Entire Universe

You know what happens when you throw a saying like that out into the actual universe? Something happens that actually makes you humble. And when I say “you” I mean ME.

It all started in back in August. I decided that it was time to branch out – time for an adventure. I had visited the Dallas area a couple of times before hand and I loved it, aside from the crazy traffic of course. This place had everything; Great food, fun activities and that one girl. I was going to take the plunge.

August 5th, 2013 – Give four-week notice to employer

I had decided to do it for sure on August 1st, but my boss was out of the office the following day, so Monday it was. After handing over the letter of resignation a great weight was lifted off me. I’m a nervous guy, and there’s not much that can make you more nervous than having a secret that you can’t tell anyone, yet. It was great afterward though. Many thanks were given and recommendations were offered. Those bridges are still standing firm, and I very much like that.

August 30th, 2013 – My last day at work

Not much happened. It was a Friday and many people came in to see me on the days before to say goodbye. This was a Friday so many of my buddies were out that day, but everything went okay regardless. The Office Manager came into my office at 10:00 a.m. and told me that they were taking me out to lunch. The owner was there and he paid for everyone’s meals. He hadn’t talked to me much, but seemed sincere when saying that there was a place for me if I decided to come back. Lunch was good; Half pound, homemade cheeseburger with sweet potato fries good.

September 13th, 2013 – My money comes in

When I quit I decided to cash out my 401K, because I’m not the brightest, and how else was I going to fund this adventure? I spent the preceding days searching for potential jobs, which mostly led to me playing around on the internet all day accomplishing squat. I had plenty of time to write but no life experiences to motivate me. I spent a lot of time with the Missionaries.

September 20th, 2013 – I head to Texas for my first round of job hunts

I decided to start out at a previous employer in New Braunfels, TX. He was gracious in talking with me and even let me stay at his house for a night. The following Thursday I watched his son’s varsity football team kill on the field. I think it was 47 to 3 or something like that. I headed back to Dallas the next day. We went to the State Fair and sampled many of fried food. It was almost all too gross. The homemade, ice-cold root beer was wonderful though. I actually got on some rides. It was a good time.

October 24th, 2013 – I head to Austin, by way of Dallas, for Blogger Interactive

I can’t say enough how great this event was. I met some people who I already knew were wonderful and I met some brand new wonderful people. The event last through Sunday and we head back to Dallas on Tuesday (I think). I spend the next week delivering resumes all around town, even catching an interview right off that bat. This has me excited for the move. I can’t wait to get down here permanently. I don’t get the job, but my hopes are still up. This is going to be great.

November 16th, 2013 – I pack everything into a U-Haul and head to Dallas

I still have plenty of money to get started. I’m feeling good. I have a recruiter who likes me and wants to help me succeed. I’m hopeful that the interviews are going to start anytime now. Then, an ice storm hits. This causes me to miss about four days of job seeking. This also causes the recruiter to become ill, missing several days at work. I’m really feeling the pressure to get a job, and now. The holidays are right around the corner too. The recruiter tells me that he will be out of the office for most of those two weeks. I don’t expect anything to happen until after the first of the year, so I go home for a surprise visit.

December 20th, 2013 – I drive home to surprise my family

 I hadn’t planned on doing this, but without a reason not to I decided to go ahead and visit. Mom is getting ready to move out of State and Dad is home alone with the terror known as Founder. I call Mom about thirty minutes outside of home town to see if she’s around. We chat and she asks “You’re not coming home, right?” I have to spill the beans, making her day. I show up at Dads and walk right in. He says “Hey, how’s it going? You’re a little early.” He’s surprised but doesn’t show it. I spend the next two weeks catching up with old friends and hanging out with the Missionaries some more. While I’m there I apply to several jobs online. I’m perfect for a lot of these jobs and feel great about the possibility of them calling me in for an interview. I’m still hopeful.

January 4th, 2014 – I drive back home (Dallas) to continue my job search

I’m still feeling pretty good, but the money is starting to dwindle. The first few days I’m back I hardly hear anything. I’m starting to become very discouraged, and a little emotional, until I receive a phone call from a staffing agency for a potential job offer. She explains that it’s manual labor, for little money, but lots of overtime to make up for it. I pass and thank her for the opportunity. That morning I had also received an e-mail for a potential “marketing job”. This job ended up being a scam so I call the staffing agency back and tell them I’m in. I go to their office and feel out all the paper work, take all the tests (including the drug test) and get set up with an interview. I go to the shop and wait outside the front door, ringing the doorbell because it’s locked. I’m finally let in and the boss comes to greet me. My résumé is very good. “Are you sure you can’t find a job in the office somewhere?” He doesn’t want to hire me, and I understand. He needs permanent workers. I cannot offer him that.

January 10th, 2014 – I’m done

After the interview is over I decide that I’m not going to make it. I’m an emotional wreck the whole thirty minute drive back home. I text the roommate and apologize for just being in the way. I call mom from the library and tell her that it’s not going to happen and I should just come home. I give up. I figure I have enough money to pay the few bills I need next month and to get me home to be closer to my family and friends. I let some of them know that I have a new timeline, that I might be coming home.

I think to myself I’ve failed in finding a job, but I am not a failure. I keep telling myself this, but for the longest time I don’t believe it. Mom calls me back and tells me of jobs in this place and that place. I’m home, without internet, so I go back to the library and check it out. While there I might as well look at Craigslist and CareerBuilder for work. For some reason I hadn’t done that yet. I stuck with Indeed.com the whole time. There are tons of jobs that I hadn’t seen yet. I apply to them all. I’m still emotional, but I’m starting to feel better. Monday I’m supposed to start a Job Search Workshop. I’m not looking forward to it.

January 13th, 2014 – Two e-mails come in asking if I want to have an interview

Yeah. One from a job I applied to on Craigslist and the other from a job on CareerBuilder. Can you believe that? I go to the first interview on Tuesday, the 14th. He asks me how I feel I am with my AutoCAD skills. I tell him that I would consider myself advanced. He then starts to sell the company to me. I’ve never seen this before. My anxiety level plummets. We’re just two regular guys talking about how great this company is and why I should work there. He makes an offer and I ask for two days to consider. I have another interview so why rush?

I go to the next interview and feel that I would fit in very well. I could start this job without any training and make it just fine. Not difficult at all. They seem very interested and ask how I feel about the starting pay. I tell him it’s under what I’ve been offered and what I’ve made in the past. He tells me he’ll let me know later in the day, or the next morning. He like what he sees.

January 16th, 2014 – I’ve heard nothing about this job

I start to get a little anxious. I haven’t heard anything from interview #2. I consider the possibilities and decide that the first job will be better anyways. I will learn more. The benefits are better. I know they want me for sure. I call to let them know that I will accept. I get the voice-mail box and leave a message. I feel good. I have a job. Things are great. But, I don’t hear back from Interview #1. Oh, he’s probably busy. I’ll call again in the morning.

I’m positive that things will work out. I wake up and decided to grab some breakfast to celebrate my new status of being employed. I stop in the parking lot and turn the car off. I make a phone call to make sure interview #1 received my message, and to know when I should come in. Another voice-mail. I tell her I will call later. Things are still okay. I get into the restaurant and order some glorious B’s and G’s. Breakfast is good, really good. I pay the ticket and walk out to my car, patting my pocket to make sure I have the keys. I have no keys. Oh no. They are in neither pocket. They are sitting in the ignition. I pull up Google and find some help. $89 later I have my keys…but I am again downtrodden. Am I living right? Have I done something wrong? Were these companies just leading me on? I still hear nothing.

January 18th, 2014 – THE e-mail comes in

E-mail apologizes for not being more timely. Instructs me to call, so I call. I have a job. Phew!

I am the most humble person in the world. It took every dollar I had before I would know that my life would be okay. More trust and faith would have helped with less nerves throughout the whole ordeal. I am thankful to my Heavenly Father for the lessons and the continued blessings that I receive.

From on top of the world to the most humble person only takes about 140 days, but who’s counting?

3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4) And patience, experience; and experience, hope: ~ Romans 5: 3-4

Enhanced by Zemanta*Featured Image Credit: apocalypse-how.com

30 thoughts on “The Most Incredibly Humble Mormon in the Entire Universe

  1. It seems your adventure was perfectly timed to the lessons you needed. It’s wonderful when you can look back and see the positives in times when you felt negative. If that makes any sense at all…

  2. I keep finding our god to have a bit of a dramatic streak. He lets us get to the edge and sometimes lose our balance, but swoops in at the last second making the save and asking, “why did you doubt?”

    Then the guilt begins. Lol. Congrats and good luck. Yay for no manual labor!

  3. Perfect, Bro Jo.. another gift in all of this is that you have the ability to see it for what it is. Many people are offered these lessons along the way and never recognize them. I am glad all worked out the way it did, and congratulations on this new phase!

  4. Congrats, BroJo! I’m so happy you’re on track to getting the life you moved there to have.

    “It took every dollar I had before I would know that my life would be okay.” I can relate to this so much. I blew through nearly all of my savings when I first moved to Oregon. It was in late 2008, right after the economy hit the toilet. I was totally anxious, and started feeling like a fool for moving to a place where I didn’t know anyone, and didn’t have a job lined up. Eventually I got a job (and then another and then another) and everything sort of worked itself out. I’m so happy I took the leap.

    You’ve actually inspired me to write about that experience. Would that be okay? I’ll link back of course.

  5. Congratulations Jon! What a journey! I appreciate that you shared the lessons that you learned from this whole experience, and it is sure helpful for others to see what you went through. Keep us posted!

  6. Congrats on the new life experiences ahead of you! And don’t knock Craigslist jobs. That’s where I got mine.

    I still have no clue what a 401K is. I always assumed when you retired you got $401,000 then I saw a commercial for becoming a school bus driver and saw that was impossible.

    I was unemployed for about 7 months so I know a lot of the anguish you expressed here. I was also disappointed the football game wasn’t 47-2. I enjoy safeties.

    1. Thanks Tim.

      I don’t see our (yours or mine) generation as a retiring one.

      An old friend of my dad’s would always say “14 to 2” when asked what the score was…for any game…any sport.

  7. So glad for you to have a job and that it is one you are looking forward to! When the DH went 2 years without regular work, I did lots of worrying. I learned that the control we have over our life is just an illusion. I learned that worrying was what happened when I forgot that God was the one who was really in control. I also learned that despite knowing those things, when you have a job, it is easier to not worry than when you don’t have a job.

      1. I think you were always a real Mormon boy, you just didn’t know it until a couple years ago, and what you bring with you to the mix makes us all better. Collect those mermaid tears (well I guess in your case, merman tears…hah! Merman…Mormon…I’m amazed at my own cleverness) in a bottle and they’ll make you immortal, or something like that.

  8. No idea, Jon. I’m still sorting things out from disability determination some years back. *sigh* Our meetings are on the 9 o’clock time slot this year, and every Sunday is a struggle.

    But then again, even the 1PM time slot was a struggle at times. Go figure.

You Know You Want to Say Something...

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s